I was just going through my GMail and came across a email send by one of my old friends from school, Nirav (so the complete credit of this blog goes to him, thanks Nirav). What I read made me really proud of being an Indian. There were some facts about Indian history mentioned in that mail. Some of the following facts may be known to you. These facts were recently published in a German magazine, which deals with WORLD HISTORY FACTS ABOUT INDIA.
- India never invaded any country in her last 1000 years of history.
- India invented the Number system. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
- The world's first University was established in Takshila in 700BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4 th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
- According to the Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software.
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to humans.
- Although western media portray modern images of India as poverty striken and underdeveloped through political corruption, India was once the richest empire on earth.
- The art of navigation was born in the river Sindh 5000 years ago. The very word "Navigation" is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH.
- The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is now known as the Pythagorean Theorem. British scholars have last year (1999) officially published that Budhayan's works dates to the 6 th Century which is long before the European mathematicians.
- Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India . Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11 th Century; the largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Indians used numbers as big as 1053.
- According to the Gemmological Institute of America, up until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds to the world.
- USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century-old suspicion amongst academics that the pioneer of wireless communication was Professor Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.
- The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra.
- Chess was invented in India.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted surgeries like cesareans, cataract, fractures and urinary stones. Usage of anaesthesia was well known in ancient India .
- When many cultures in the world were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley ( Indus Valley India in 100 BC.
"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made." - Albert Einstein.
"India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend and the great grand mother of tradition." - Mark Twain.
"If there is one place on the face of earth where all dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India." - French scholar Romain Rolland.
"India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border." - Hu Shih (former Chinese ambassador to USA )
ALL OF THE ABOVE IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG, THE LIST COULD BE ENDLESS.
BUT, if we don't see even a glimpse of that great India in the India that we see today, it clearly means that we are not working up to our potential; and that if we do, we could once again be an evershining and inspiring country setting a bright path for rest of the world to follow.
I hope you enjoyed it and work towards the welfare of INDIA
Say proudly, I AM AN INDIAN.